2021 Ultra Relay
The Ultra Relay is an epic, 19 person, staged relay run stretching 3,260 miles across America for the MS cause.
RUN FOR A REASON
Every year we run across America and rally thousands in support to help STOP multiple sclerosis (MS)! This is our story and why we run for a reason.
Ultra Relay Details
The Relay begins each year in April in California and finishes in August in New York. Yup…you read that right, it takes 4.5 months to run across America. Crazy, right? As a relay runner though, you only travel with us on the road for one week. Here’s how:
Relay runners are hand selected as one person on a 19 person team. Each runner on the team is assigned one, week long segment to run. On average, a segment is 160 miles of running in a week. (Woah, really?) Yes, really. If you can run a half marathon though, you can do this event!
(Why the hell would someone run that far?) Good question. We use our running for an awesome purpose -to help those living with multiple sclerosis (MS)! As such, each runner fundraises $10,000 to participate. We know that sounds like a lot of money, and it is, but we have an amazing fundraising program. We’ll help you reach your goals every step of the way!
Donations raised support the organization’s mission of the MS disease awareness, to aid research, and to help those living with disability due to MS.
Below are the details regarding our selection process.
In general, we’re seeking runners that are looking for an epic event with massive impact. If that’s you, welcome home.
Selection for the team is competitive. We encourage you to apply early and join our Ambassador program to get connected with the organization right away!
Step 1: The Application
Are you a runner looking for more? Are you interested in exploring what you’re capable of? Then you’ve come to the right place. Any runner interested in training with our team to run a marathon a day for six consecutive days while raising funds for MS should submit an application.
Step 2: Fundraising
Each runner on the team commits to raising $10,000. We hear you, that’s a big, hairy goal. But, before you pass on this opportunity because of this amazing fundraising challenge, know that many runners before you were also hesitant because of that goal, and many runners before you still applied, and many runners before you exceeded their fundraising commitment! Our Alumni page is littered with every day runners just like you that crushed this fundraising goal.
Trust us, the goal matches the epicness of this adventure. You can do it, we can help!
Step 3: Training
Its assumed that not everyone applying for this event will have experience of running 160 miles in one week. I mean, c’mon, that would be ridiculous of us to expect. So we’ve got you covered! As a part of the team, MS Run the US provides a training program, nutritional advice, and guidance from a group of running experts from within the organization, like our Founder Ashley Schneider who ran solo across America by herself, and our many Alumni runners who love to aid others in this experience.
Step 4: Running Your Segment
During the application process we ask you where you’d like to run within our relay route, and we do our best to accommodate your interests. Here are the nitty gritties of running your segment:
- You’re assigned a segment during team selection. Details of where along the route and when your segment takes place are included, so you’ll know this year where and when you’ll be running during the event. You also have the option of saying, “Hey, guys, I want to run, but this doesn’t work for me!” And then we work it out. Because if we’re sending you an invite to the team, we want you on the team!
- When you arrive for your segment you are supported by our Road Crew team. These are trained employees we hire to take care of you during your epic week of running! You’ll stay in our super rad motor home that serves as a home base, sleeping quarters, kitchen, and overall the central hub for all activity during the event. Think of it as running camp for adults with a generous helping of inspiration and purpose.
- For reasons of community awareness, involvement and safety, a runner may not complete the assigned segment miles more than one day faster than scheduled (ie. Don’t get any crazy ideas about running your segment all at once in one long running effort).
- A list of the relay segments are available here.
What’s provided for each Relay Runner:
- A training program, tips and suggestions for training.
- Nutritional guidance for endurance running.
- A fundraising program, advice and support.
- Featured Relay Runner page on msruntheus.org.
- Meals for the duration of the segment.
- Access to the comforts provided by the RV, SAG vehicle, and Road Crew team.
- Sleeping quarters and clean linens, with optional pillow fights, for the duration of the stay.
- Bathroom and showering facilities.
- Inclusion into our private social media groups.
And an experience you will never forget!
So, after reading this, if you’re ready to take your running to the next level, we encourage you to submit an application for the 2021 Relay Team. We can’t wait to meet you!